The design draws a clear distinction between the original building and the new facilities, with the same attention to detail paid to the restoration of the 1920’s school as to the new laboratories.
Working with Dutch partners IAA we conceived a design in which the new and old are both linked and separated by the vertical circulation of lift tower and bridge-like stairs. Together, these elements mediate between the levels and characters of the existing building and the new wing, providing full accessibility. Between the extension and the refurbished factory space, is a calm and simple courtyard.
The new laboratory building presents a confident modernity, respecting the fine original building – a National Monument – and the urban fabric of Enschede.